Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Maybe God isn't Brazilian after all.

At least he may not be Carioca (a Rio native). I was all prepared today to begin chatting about all my cooking adventures (I've been dabbling in the kitchen for nearly a week, but only began working for real yesterday).  So far the trip has been amazing...until today.

It's been raining on-and-off for the past several days, but I didn't think much of it. Until today. Last night the rain came down hard and by mid-morning, nearly a foot of rain was dumped on the State of Rio de Janeiro. The average rainfall for the state is about 4-inches for the month of April and about 40+ inches per year. It's still pouring, so who knows how much rain there's been by now.

The city has been declared a disaster area with hundreds of mudslides (I saw several), trees down, electricity off in many areas and more than a hundred dead and more missing.

It's said to be the worst rain disaster in 30-years. Much of the city was closed for the day as people tried to cope with waters. This is the scene from my bedroom window (I'm in a highrise in Sao Corado, not too far away)

4 comments:

  1. The weather sounds like our trip to Ireland when you were swept up by the huge waves and the rainy winds. Try to stay warm.

    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annabel,

    I still rather be there with you than at work with Sherri.

    Love ya, have fun....
    Dana aka Raquel (new blogger name) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Annabel--

    LinkedIn sent notice of your doings. I'll be following your blog. Here's the link to mine from Costa Rica. I just got back a month ago. There are even some food pictures for you:

    http://baggyparagraphs.wordpress.com/category/baggy-travels/costa-rica-2010/

    Yrs.,
    Ronald Ahrens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annabel my queen! Well actually, you're Larry's queen but I do admire you greatly. Hope you remain high and dry. It's been raining here too but nothing like what you're enduring. At least we don't have mudslides.

    The new job is going well. Can't wait to sample your Brazilian culinary skills on your return. Be safe, warm and dry.

    Hetu

    ReplyDelete